Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Cage, Penguins and Rabbits


Susie's Tummy
Susie's Cage

Over the weekend, John and I designed and constructed a brand new cage for Susie. It was purely a guilt thing. She now has a 24"x25"x?deep" wood cage with a long window in the back and a partially opened top for little hands to easily pet her. We still need to round/scoop off the top edges of the petting section, but it's good enough to let her use for now. She's got it made. She can now climb on the outside of the toys she could only climb inside of just a few days ago. She loves it, and so do we. The only problem is that we don't really know where to put the thing! It's in the livingroom right now, but I'm not terribly thrilled about that idea. She'd been in there before, but I didn't like that my house smelled hamster-like. We'll have to do some figuring on that one. Kind of an eyesore too! (But I don't care a whole lot about that... As long as my hamster and my kids are happy, then so am I!)

Yesterday Auntie Sharon took the kids to see the National Geographic documentary "The March of the Penguins." They've read several penguin books before yesterday, so they were excited about learning more about them. Liana talked Auntie Sharon's ear off with questions during the whole thing, *grin,* but nobody was traumatized by some of the birdies dying. They loved it.

Speaking of things dying, or about to... Liana and Co. found a baby bunny in the yard yesterday and caught it. It wasn't hurt; it was just timid and too slow for its own good. Liana zipped it in her little purse and swung it all over the yard yesterday morning, (unbeknownst to me, I'll have you know). Leksa finally spilled the beans. I called Liana over to me, took her purse, dumped the mortified (and probably rather dizzy) baby bunny out, explaining that the bunny's mama was probably not going to want to take care of it now because it now smelled like Liana and not a baby bunny, and that it very well might die. She felt really bad, poor kid. (I found out later that she went into the house and cried.)

I was actually pretty proud of myself for not having a cow about the whole thing, but when I was a little girl of Liana's age, something similar happened with a bunny and my big sis DID have a cow. (Didn'tcha, Sharon?!) I figured she felt bad enough, so she didn't need a further lecture (whereas I still can't figure out why my sis had the cow about MY particular rabbit).

I had been conducting a science experiment. A bunny had died in our yard, so the neighbor kids and I buried it, and then dug it up every day to see what it looked like. The day it had maggots on it and we all started screaming was the day my sis was over. She chased all my friends away, and I'd never heard vocal chords hit such high notes, or seen faces pop so many veins. What was the big deal? It was already dead! She reburied it in a place she never let me know of - (though I searched the yard pretty well looking for loose dirt) - and to this day I don't have a clue what the big deal was! lol!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon, all they were doing was HUGGING. Right? (Sheesh, now that we've scared the free world outta seeing this show...) LOL

As for the dead rabbit, well, gloves schmuves. This was science plain and simple. I might have become a world-famous scientist if my interests weren't dashed so abruptly. And loudly. If I remember right, my next-door neighbor was afraid of you after that! ;O)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Melissa was in on the experiment, and yes, it prolly was because of my dead rabbit.

As for the penguins, I think you made it clear from the beginning what the penguins were doing. Oy.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, I'm laughing so hard it hurts- you guys are nuts!

Shelly- a brilliant career as a forensic scientist thwarted by your own (although well meaning) sister! :( Just kidding Sharon!!

And at least it was your kids you had to have a cow over- Last Summer I tried to explain to my city boy husband that the baby bunny in our yard would be abandoned by it's mother if he touched it. Of course he looked at me like I had two heads, but hey! he knew better (growing up in the Bronx, NY his exposure to wild life did not include much of the 4 legged variety)Well, we all know what happened- he was going to take this poor thing to our vet and try to raise it as his own I guess- that is until our Dog Sophia got ahold of it.

Let's just say a spin in Liana's purse would have been MUCH more fun for this poor bunny!

So, I naturally had to have yet ANOTHER cow- at Matt AND Sophia. I actually caught myself telling her I was going to take her to the pound.

Then at that moment I knew I was insane-

Thanks for the laughs Shelly and Sharon!!

xo Lisa

Anonymous said...

Must be something about rabbits that makes people lose a marble or two! (Everybody 'cept for me, that is... I, of course, was completly sane and reasonable for all my bunny experiences...) *Hmph* ;O)

Thanks for the chuckles today you guys!

Shelly

Marnie said...

I have a friend who works in wildlife rehab and has cared for many a bunny, and she assures me there's no truth to the old wives' tale about a mother rabbit rejecting a little one because it smells like a human. "Put it back in the nest, if possible, and leave it alone," is her advice. Of course kids need to be taught not to pick up wild animals to begin with! But hopefully without too much trauma for child or wild creature. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, how 'bout that! I'm sure Liana will be relieved to hear that - though I'm not *quite* sure if it would be best for me to tell her. Those poor bunnies would never be safe!

Thanks for setting us straight!

Shelly

Marnie said...

I should have mentioned that my friend's name is Liane, which is a pretty good name (in any form)and indicative of great intelligence, charm etc.

Maybe you could tell Liana about the possibility of fleas and parasites and diseases (maybe passed on to Susie?), or hit the emotional angle -- how scared would the little bunny be? How sad would the mother bunny be to find her little one gone? Etc. Good luck! I'm sure you're handling it well, no matter what.