Saturday, August 27, 2005

Jeff the Caterpillar


Adam and Jeff

Today the girls and I went to my aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary party at their cabin.

It was a wonderful day up until it was time to leave. That's when Liana shouted, "Look, Mama!" and as I turned around, she jiggled a Giant Green Caterpillar at me.

Freaked. Me. Out.

Nothing gives me the heeby-jeebies like Giant Green Caterpillars. At least not like this kind. I've never seen one like it. My brothers thought it might turn into a teradachtyl instead of a butterfly. I just can't imagine what kind of creature this thing could possibly become.

Anyway, Rotten Cousin Sue came up with a plastic box to put the caterpillar in to take home. Great. (She did ask me if it was ok to give the box, so, *sigh*, she wasn't entirely rotten, but... ;O) ) Liana proudly took "Jeff" home and made a nice little abode for him in a shallow plastic tub. This thing is staying OUTSIDE. Whereas I bragged about how wonderful I was about the various bunny situations in my life, I'm not so wonderful about 3" juicy green creepy-crawlies. Especially when Liana is wagging it at me and practically chasing me around the yard to taunt me.

I'm not safe anymore. She found my achilles...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, come on Shelly! Breathe deeply and repeat "I am raising a future veterinarian (or bug-fanatic, or bunny-amusement-park owner, or whatever)" She is completely adorable! I found a site for you to identify Jeff...it even has advice on "rearing caterpillars" LOL... hope it helps and, besides, you'll have your science curriculum lesson for the week! Ha! Still chuckling about the obvious glee in her face! Good luck, Laurel in Tulsa

Anonymous said...

Maybe if I GAVE you the website that would be more helpful!

http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.uk/

Anonymous said...

Wow- Jeff is HUGE!!! You just might have something prehistoric here:) How neat that Liana and you have such a great relationship that she feels comfortable teasing you a bit. Sounds like good fun! Enjoy... Jo from the ttc adoption board

Anonymous said...

Not that I am a fan of holding creepy crawlies...but I would MUCH rather look at/hold a caterpillar than dig up a dead bunny and see it be eaten by maggots. YUCK! So it cracks me up that as a child your "bunny decaying experiment" didn't bother you but a live little green critter does, LOL! I agree sounds like a good science lesson in the making! ;-) Ruth from the ttc adoption db