Thursday, August 18, 2005

Poor Susie!

We just had one of those nights where we knew we were parents *for sure.*

Susie got loose again. We'd had her in her exercise ball this evening, and since that's how she usually gets loose, we had some duct tape on the lid. Anyway, after looking for a million years, we finally gave up, tucked the kids in, and I immediately found her in our closet poking around. No problem. Except. Except that the 2" piece of duct tape that had kept one side of the lid on her ball closed was now firmly pressed on the side of her fuzzy little body. It was horrible. We had to get a scissors out and try to snip duct tape off of our furry friend. And she was not a happy girl. 'Specially when John accidentally slipped and nipped her side. Susie actually screamed. I didn't know hamsters could do that, but John felt SOOOOO bad. Like, teary-eyed feeling bad. Like hafta-play-the-Nintendo-after-we-were-done-so-he-could-shake-off-how-horrible-he-felt kind of bad. We had to put her in a deep box for the night until we can really clean out her cage well tomorrow. I put new pine chips in the bottom of the box to make her comfy though, and gave her her wheel and food/water. We didn't want her germy cage to infect her little tummy. We plan to buy her a new ball (and maybe even cage) on Saturday. (Did I mention how horrible we feel about our Sus?) Never thought in a million years I'd ever have to do minor surgery on a hamster. Especially one involving silver duct tape! Never a dull moment around here!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I feel worse for John!!

Hope he and Susie are doing better today!

Lisa S.

Anonymous said...

Oh that's awful - my eyes welled up! Poor John too - I still remember as a child accidentially hurting my dog by clipping too much of his nail off - still makes me feel sick about it. Poor Susy though, she must have hurt :-( The worst is that you can't explain it to them...ok I am getting teary again!!!

You are right there is never a dull moment in your house!
Holly

Anonymous said...

Actually, Sharon, Dad reminded me of the time that I was trimming his eyebrows and accidentally snipped his eyelid. Now THAT was horrible. He just has those droopy 70-something-yr-old man eyes, and the lid got in the way. He now goes on high alert whenever I come near him with the scissors, but eyebrow-cutting is still my job; he didn't fire me over it.

Anonymous said...

Shelly, I know exactly how John felt. It is not easy giving a hamster a hair cut!

On another note, my grandson's school principal wants to make a school project. She wants the school kids to collect and donate items to the orphanage. Could you email me the address of the orphanage? ymg@ckt.net
voni