Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Misc happenings

Yesterday we stopped at a friend's house so she could show us how to feed her cat and water her flowers while she and her family are on vacation. While we were there, her twin daughters hopped on their bikes and declared that they were going to the pool. "Can I swim in your pool too?" asked our kids. Mrs. W. explained that it wasn't her pool, but the city's pool. (She lives in a different city than we do, so our kids haven't ever been there.) The kids asked if they could go. Mrs. W. told them that was up to their mom. "Where's the pool?" they asked. Mrs. W. pointed north-west. We promptly forgot about it. Mrs. W. and I chatted away and suddenly Adam asked, "Mama, where are Liana and Aleksa?" They had disappeared. They went to the pool. Well, they THOUGHT they were going to the pool. I take that back. LIANA thought she was going to the pool, and Aleksa went along with her big sister for kicks.

So, off Mrs. W. and I went looking for our girls. Found them a couple blocks away, and instead of being surprised that we were out looking for them, Liana said, "I didn't see any pool."

That's the second time in two weeks I've had to go looking for her. I can't remember ever having to do that before. New 7-yr-old wings? I dunno, but boy, do we need to get that strong will harnassed somehow! Liana at 16 is a scary thought for me right now. Like *really* scary.

At the library the other day we had yet another bathroom event. I went into the stall with Aleksa, but Liana was in the one next to us. Liana's toilet flushed three times before she was done, and she asked over to Aleksa if hers was flushing on her. It wasn't (I was blocking the sensor.) So, when Aleksa and I left the stall to wash our hands, I turned around in time to see Liana's bare butt crawling under the wall of the stall over to Aleksa's newly-vacated one. Evidently she had had enough of her constantly-flushing toilet and wanted to try out Aleksa's quieter one.

Never a dull moment around here, that's for sure!

While I spent the few days before Liana's birthday gearing up for preparations, etc., I've put Aleksa's off 'til the very last minute. This morning it hit me *hard* that 'Leks is having her 5th birthday tomorrow. At the breakfast table, I said something about this being the last day of having a four-yr-old, and suddenly I found myself bursting into sobbing tears. All three kids' eyes widened and everyone froze waiting to find out what on earth was up with me. Good thing Adam's isn't this week too... my heart just can't take it! After I explained that I didn't like having my babies grow up, Adam came up to me, and with a twinkle in his eye, he said, "Mama, on January 14th, I going to be 11 years old." He got a tickle for that.

Aleksa wanted the same things as Liana got, so it's going to be a deja-vous birthday. As long as she's happy! (She even told me where I needed to hide her presents.... In the same places we hid Liana's!) The only thing different is the menu. (Yay!) She wanted verenyky for supper (good girl, Leksa Lu!), and chocolate cake and chocolate frosting and chocolate ice cream. (My kinda woman!)

No comments: