Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Update on Liana's birthday




Before it becomes Aleksa's birthday tomorrow, I'd better get around to filling the blanks of what happened for Liana's.

We made her a princess crown to wear for the day, complete with aluminum foil to make it shine. She loved it. Then we had breakfast in bed... all of us in her bed. That was interesting with cereal. (We did Malt-o-Meal with Adam's birthday breakfast).

Then Aleksa and I hid Liana's presents around the house. She only had a few of them, so we wanted to make it special. A friend from NJ sent her a package too, and she LOVED opening that. A friend of the family stopped over with a birthday cookie (a big chocolate chip cookie with "Happy Birthday" on it.) She also brought a few small presents like color book and crayons and a little porcelain teddy bear holding a block with an "L" on it. Grandma and Grandpa brought over their present on Sunday (there was a family wedding on Saturday.) Altogether (aside from what I already mentioned), she got a baby stroller, an umbrella, a sewing kit, a scooter, pop-beads to make jewelry, a fleece poncho/jacket/robe, some birthday money and some hair accessories. Pretty much, she made a haul.

When I went to make her birthday cake, she about had a cow. She didn't want ME to make her cake. SHE wanted to do it. She "knew how" she said. Afterall, she'd just watched me make my own a few days ago. So, I told her how much of what to add, and she did it all by herself. Right down to cracking the eggs. She was sure proud! (But this girl really goes to town with the frosting. YUCK. I literally couldn't tell where to put the candle in - there was so much frosting that it slid off the sides. Next time, I'm decorating the cake!) She also got to pick her birthday supper, which I was pretty forlorn about. She wanted Tator Tot Casserole. (NOT my favorite, but John loves it, so I hafta cook it once in a while. Unfortunately the kids love it too. *sigh*) So, I didn't particularly care for *any* of the birthday supper, but Princess Liana enjoyed every bite, and I guess that's all that matters!

We all went to play a game of mini-golf in the afternoon. It was a hot day, but they had fun chasing their balls around and having us cheer for their 17 strokes to hit their par 2 hole. It drove John a little crazy that they didn't care about good form, but hey, so what!

It was a fun day, and she told us several times that she was so happy and that she never had a birthday before, and never had this much fun on her birthday before, etc. I'm glad she liked it. It was fun making such a fuss.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely update to read all about Liana's birthday in America! What a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful family!
Holly

Anonymous said...

Shelly!

What fun!! I had to laugh out loud about the tater tot casserole- you'll have to send me the recipe as it sounds exactly like something Matt would looooove. You can FEEL the joy that radiates from that sweet little girl! xo Lisa S.

Anonymous said...

Ok, Lisa, here goes the recipe. *sigh*

1 1/2 lbs hamburger, browned with chopped onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can french-cut green beans
lotsa shredded cheddar cheese
tator tots

After the meat/onion is done and drained, stir in the soup and drained beans. Then, spread it on the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Then sprinkle the top with the cheese. Then, line up the tator tots on top of that. Bake for I-don't-know-how-long at 350 til the mixture under the tators bubbles up and the tators get a little brown. Probably 30-45 minutes? I always just keep checking. Don't forget though... When I was first married I served this for the inlaws, and had made up 2-3 pans of it. The last pan I threw in on a whim not knowing if we'd need it or not. About three hours later I shrieked as I realized I'd forgotten the casserole in the oven several hours before. I still get teased about that. It took a looooong time to clean out that pan! ;O)

Anonymous said...

Shelly,

Sounds yummy- but I'll have to be careful, I'm notorious for forgetting stuff in the oven. Can't tell your how many pans I've ruined over the last 10 years :) so you're not alone. Thanks!! Lisa