Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Creatures in the Wall

Woke up this morning to the sounds of a Critter of some sort crawling Inside My Bedroom Wall. Freaked Me Out. I tried really hard to dismiss it, and convince myself that I was still half-asleep but when I heard something actually shake itself off, let me tell you, I was UP. I had visions of mice, or even *gulp* a Hamster scurrying around chewing wires in the walls and dying in there - or worse yet, MULTIPLYING.

I couldn't get myself down to Adam's room fast enough to check and see if Susie Cute was safe and sound in her little cage. She was. *whew* Or maybe not "whew" - at least I would know that Susie was a FRIENDLY rodent inside my wall, and not a nasty vile thing that perhaps came a-nesting because I'm not a good enough housekeeper. *waaaaah!*

So, by this time John is awake. I come back into our room and he asks, "What is that noise?" (Yikes, he heard it too! It must be really there! I had thought maybe I could pretend I was imagining things and go back to bed.) I tell him I think there is a mouse or something in the wall (we are in a rental house afterall!)

He valiantly comes to my rescue. I wonder how he's going to get the thing OUT. About right them I'm ready to pass him the sledgehammer. He decides to take a more conservative approach and instead look out the window. Our room is on the second story. He tries to look straight down, and thinks he sees something, so he takes off the screen so he can crane his head out. There is a small hooded vent of some sort just a few feet below the window. (Dryer vent?) And! We see a mama and papa BLUEBIRD (with twigs/grass in their beaks), sitting on our satellite below that. They were looking up at us wondering who we were and what we thought we were doing here. (And evidently did not appreciate us interrupting their busy morning.)

Let me just say that the thought of The Bluebirds of Happiness nesting in our vent is a MUCH better feeling than the thought of mice in the walls. Talk about opposite extremes! Nevertheless, I'm up for the day. Way too much adrenaline coursing through my veins.

5 comments:

Marnie said...

Awesome! That's a much better problem than mice in the walls (which have nothing to do with your housekeeping skills, I might add).

Marnie said...

Another blog writer has been having a bluebird adventure, if you're interested. For pictures and commentary go here.

Anonymous said...

Kay! Thank you for posting your news! I'll be excited to follow your blog in the weeks to come! Exciting days ahead for you! :O)

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interestedhttp://googleindex.info/367.html or http://neveo.info/1275.html and http://googleindex.info/814.html