Saturday, December 04, 2004

Uncle's House

Yesterday we made gingerbread houses with our homeschool group. Talk about a BLAST! Lotsa candy and frosting, lotsa stains down their shirts and sleeves, but also lotsa fun! I'll have to take some pictures.

We took the kids up to Uncle Bruce's house for the annual Christmas party for John's extended family today. It was a long day (three hours there and back), but the kids had a lot of fun, and they were actually *really* *really* good.

I had been dreading the day, not knowing how overstimulated the kids would get. Taking adopted kiddos anywhere this soon after coming home is usually not a good idea, but well, oh well. Tis the season, right?

So, expecting Adam to be inspecting people's ears and mouths, and hanging on them like a monkey, I was pleasantly surprised when he sat nicely, talked nicely, and played nicely with his new cousins. (At least from what I saw!)

The girls did really well too with not being indiscriminantly friendly. I found Aleksa on one cousin's lap, but only after being coaxed. Otherwise, she preferred to stay with Mama and Papa, or playing with her sister or little cousin Glenn and older cousin Kassie. Liana was really reserved and was shy to everyone other than us and Grandma. Doesn't surprise me since she is the most firmly attached to us of the three.

So, I'm breathing an enormous sigh of relief that they are coming along so well. I truly expected to see Aleksa on all the uncles' laps charming them with her dimples and smiles. While she maybe did the charming anyway, she did so from afar this time, and that speaks volumes to me about how she is attaching to us. This is one relieved mama!

Really great day.

No comments: