Monday, January 10, 2005

Borscht!

Well, since it was shopping day, I picked up more beets, and made some borscht for supper tonight. I didn't have much hope for it all afternoon. I kept putting bland veggies in the pot and thinking, "This is so not going to taste good." Liana and Adam oo'ed and ah'ed all afternoon, and helped me put the veggies into the pot. (These kids eat raw onions and raw cabbage like it was going out of style.) Ew. They had also begged me to buy a bunch of radishes at the store today too, so for a snack this afternoon, they pulled them out, asked if they could have some, and then proceeded to devour ALL of them. Poof. Gone. Nothing left but leafy-greens. Ew.

Anyway, we sat down to eat, and my first few bites were, "Well, I wouldn't write home about it, but it's ok." But THEN I remembered the sour cream in the fridge! You're supposed to serve it with a dollop of s.c. on top. And once we did that, Oh Boy was it ever delicious! There was only one cup of borscht left in the pot after we were all done eating. I couldn't believe how yummy it was, and how much I actually enjoyed it. I'm going to be craving it in the future, I know that much for sure. Liana and Adam were right - it is YUMMY! (They've been telling me for weeks how yummy it is, and that I need to make some).

Also at the grocery store, Adam got to pick his birthday cake and ice cream. He was so happy to be able to choose his own, and while I had to steer him away from some obvious yucky combos, he had an awesome time picking it out. He spent a good while examining and comparing, and oohing and ahhing. He's getting strawberry cake with butter-cream frosting, and then some Scooby-Doo sugar whatzits for the top. He even chose the candles. Then, he picked strawberry icecream. He can't wait for his birthday Friday. He's more excited about his cake than he is about any presents. Auntie Sharon and Uncle Lyle get to spend the evening with us. I hope the weather cooperates - Adam is so excited that Auntie Sharon is coming to see HIM! We don't get to see much of her, so he's extra-excited about that.

Anyway, that's the scoop du jour. Hope everyone is well. I've been hearing of a gazillion people getting their NAC appointment dates today; Yay! Lots of February appointments being handed down. I'm so excited for all of you! Get packing!

No comments: