Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Mortified

This afternoon, the kids asked to go play outside hoping that the neighbor kids across the street would be able to play too. They were also hoping to be able to play "inside" at the neighbor's house ever since Adam got to do so the other day. Well, of course I told them they could, but I also told Liana to go change her clothes first. No problem. Meanwhile, I sat rocking Aleksa to sleep for her usual afternoon nap. Adam hurriedly got bundled up and was outside in a flash. Liana took her time and came out of her room all bundled up with snowpants, coat, hat, etc. I told her to have fun, play nice and all that motherly stuff. Out she went.

Soon the kids checked back in and asked to go sledding at the park down the street with their friends. Okie dokie.

The mortification kicked in when Liana came home, took off her snowpants and coat and I realized that she had been playing in the cold snow with a navy jumper that a friend from church gave us as hand-me-downs. Liana has been anxious to wear it, and apparently this was the day.

It wouldn't have been *too* mortifying that I had let her go outside with a skirt, but when I noticed that she had it on backwards, I about died thinking she might have gone over to the neighbors' house dressed like that.

Thankfully, they played outside, but Oy. I can imagine the raised eyebrows from the neighbors as they saw how the Fishers dressed their children.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It could have been worse...she might have chosen to wear a nightgown.