Sunday, July 15, 2007

Fun Weekend!



Uff, what a busy, but FUN, FUN, FUN weekend!

Friday night we went to a picnic at a friend's farm "back home." As we pulled up to park along the side of the road, I notice a big ole snake in the road sunning itself. Wull, 'member my snake studyin' this summer?

I said to Fisher, "Uh, Fisher? There's a snake right there in the road, and I'm fairly certain it's a rattle snake."

"You sure?" says Fisher.

"Uh, it has a rattle!" says I.

The next thing I heard was Fisher locking everyone's cardoors so we could have a chit-chat with the kids before we sprung them loose from the car to "investigate the snake." So, while we tried to prep the kids I realized that a group of about 5-6 kids were playing not 10 feet from that snake, so I got out and told the kids to stay away.

Yeah right. One of them got awful close. Freaked everyone out.

We went and got the son of the man whose farm we were at, and he brought a rake with him (you know, the metal kind that could do some damage). Well, it really was a rattler! How 'bout that. I knew what I was talkin' about for once!

Fisher and The Farmer's son "took care" of the snake and got it out of the kids' play area. It turned into an insta-science lesson and the men opened Mr. Snake's mouth to show the kids the teeth and venom, the jaw that unhinges, and explained the rattle to them. (The snake was about 7 years old judging from the number of rattles it had, btw.) Fisher was the Hero of the night! (Well, really, *sniffs* I was, 'cause I knew it was a rattler and started the initial panic...)

The farmer (Randy is his name) said that was the first rattler he'd ever seen in the 15 years he'd lived there.

No, we did not barbeque it. ;O)

Then Saturday we got to see Dad in the morning and Adam got to mow his yard. That boy LOVES mowing! And! He now has his "bike money" in hand, and we will have a big night tomorrow as he actually gets to bring it home. Very excited boy. He's been doing odd jobs all summer for the neighbor lady and has been saving all the extra cash tossed his way in order to save up for a new and desperately needed bike.

Then we got to go visit Uncle Lyle and Auntie Sharon! SO. MUCH. FUN!!!! The kids got to go for a firetruck ride, (Uncle Lyle is a fireman!), and check out the inside of a few ambulances, (Auntie Sharon is an EMT!) etc. They got free colorbooks and pencils and etc. They got the grand tours at both places! Very, very cool!

They also loved playing with Auntie Sharon's doggies. Oh what a blast they had with the animals! (But! Liana broke out allllll over on the way home, so we're wondering if she's allergic to 'em? She was lugging around that puppy quite a bit, and the inside of her arm was especially covered with welts. She also had welts All over her tummy, back, legs, arms, etc. She's beside herself thinking she might not ever get a dog because she might be allergic. )

Beautiful day, and also very fun to see my sister's boys after so long. It must have been a year since I'd seen them/Sharon at all. Way too long. We instant message every day, so it isn't like we don't "talk" but sometimes a good eyeball-to-eyeball talk is what ya realllllly need to reconnect. THANK YOU Sharon, for the great day we had!

I'm being a little delinquent by not putting our stuff away after our trip and sitting here at the computer instead, but I hadda fill ya all in on what a fun weekend we had!

5 comments:

Missy said...

I have a some shoes and socks to head your way...if I can have your address again? I know I had it, but...well, I guess you get that I lost it. Gotcha day is coming up pretty quick, right??

p.s. I would have FREAKED OUT seeing a snake. Have I ever mentioned that I HATE snakes?? yucky

Anonymous said...

Missy, email me, ok? shelly@johnandshelly.net

Anonymous said...

Shelly, the day was a total TREAT for us! We loved seeing you and the kiddos. It was also fun to see your tummy, and know there is a little baby fish in there! How exciting is THAT!!

I probably would have not liked a rattle snake, even if I don't mind the "safe" snakes. I am a critter person, and if it has a heart beat I would just as soon have it as a pet - but I would draw a line on a rattle snake. I am so glad you saw it and there were no mishaps on Friday-the-13th. Good mama!! Good papa, too, for "taking care of business" and for making the snake safer for inspection, if you get my drift.

Your kids are getting to be so grown up. Baby Fish is one lucky little one to have such a nice big brother and two big sisters! (I am being so careful not to mention gender. THAT is hard!!)

Love you, punkie! - Sharon

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed spending time with you this weekend also. It was good to see how "everyone" has grown a bit. Adam is almost eye to eye with me. I told him he could get taller than me, but not yet. He has to slow down. He must have grown about 4" since December. Maybe not, but it sure seems that way. Liana and Aleksa are not too far behind in their growing either. Shelly looks very nice with her little baby bubble.

Hope Liana's rash has faded now. She had quite a rash there. Her dark tanned complexion does not let them show very much though. Such sweethearts they are.

Adam said "this is my grandma" again which always melts my heart. He is my dear and precious grandson. And Liana and Aleksa my precious grand daughters. So precious!! And now with another grandchild coming - I can hardly wait!!!!! (I didn't spill the beans!)

We were able to have a few family pictures taken with Uncle's new camera. I am looking forward to seeing them. Will get them to you soon as we can, Shelly.

Love you all, and it was so good to be together again.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Shelly,
Are you still doing the drive? I have been collecting for you....!!!

So glad you had a great weekend!

Kate x
aspecialfamily