Monday, July 09, 2007

Hyper

Sure had a fun day! My brother (you know, the one who I just posted a picture of), and his wife came for several hours this morning on their way into the Cities for a day of shopping. This was the first time they'd been here since our move, so the kids had All Kinds of fun showing them every they owned... including their rooms, their cool bike tricks, toys, dolls, games, the tomato plant outside (!) etc. Uff da. Someone definitely put quarters in their nickel slots.

While they were pretty good overall, they get to a frenzy point where they have a really hard time controlling themselves. Impulsive is an understatement... I poked my nose in the livingroom at one point to see Adam yanking on my brother's leg... Another time the kids were all in the girls' room and someone got crazy and slugged someone else. (That doesn't fly around here.) They just still don't seem to know how to manage themselves when they are excited.

Totally reminded me of when the kids were first home. They were so constantly over-stimulated by their new lives with us; our house, their stuff, our visitors, etc, that they were on perpetual high and couldn't bring themselves out of it. Not for months. They were miserable. And uff, were John and I exhausted. Happy, but Tired!

Thankfully, when my brother and sil left, the house got instantly quiet, but it was an eye-opener to me. (Evidently things have been rather low-key around here lately... haven't seen this much excitement in ages!)

1 comment:

Tami said...

My three tend to do that too, especially my oldest son. I chalk it up to 'leftover' behavior. My theory is that they were so understimulated at the orphanages, their little bodies don't know how to handle all the external stimuli. Thankfully, the longer they've been here, the better it has gotten...but there are some days! As you said...uff da!