Thursday, July 19, 2007

Liana's 9-Patch




The fun part of having three kids, is that you never know what the day is going to look like. I had assumed that today was going to be a "yawner" of a day, with nothing special planned...

Well, wrong again!

This morning Liana asked me what a "9-Patch quilt" is... She is reading the Little House on the Prairie books by herself now, and wanted to know what it was that Laura was up to. Well, talk about a detour to the day! I got out some quilt pictures and then after she was done with her math and reading, I helped Liana make her very own 9-Patch pillow.

I must say, while I initially doubted her choice of fabric colors - (a red print and a pale pink), she did an EXCELLENT job and it really turned out beautifully! I know "Laura" didn't have a nice Kenmore sewing machine, but uh, that's what we used, and was I ever proud of how careful and precise she was.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waiting to see Liana's pillow. What a wonderful way to learn and spend a day together. I am so tickled for you.

Love you all lots and lots,
Mom

Anonymous said...

It's amazing!! Shelly, can she teach me? My mom never learned how to do these things, so I never learned - now I want to as an adult!
Tell Liana, she can do more than most grown women!!!!!
Kate
aspecialfamily

Missy said...

It is absolutely beautiful! She did amazingly well...I wish I could have learned that when I was her age. I'm still trying to get the hang of my sewing machine!

Anonymous said...

Good job, Liana! Grandma is very proud of you. You made a beautiful pillow! Sometime we will have to do some sewing together.

Love you all,
Mom