Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Killdeer!


On Monday Liana looked out the window and saw a bird that she assumed was one of our "Eastern Kingbirds" that has been frequenting our yard all summer. Then she noticed that it had a ring around its neck and decided it couldn't be. She HAD been in the middle of her math, but I love these kinds of educational sideroads, so I let her curiousity run full course and her math was ditched.

My scientific sweetie picked up our bird book that we keep by the livingroom window, and our binocs, and all by herself, she declared that it was a Killdeer. The picture in the book matched the specimen outside perfectly.

Well, what else could she do but then grab my camera and go outside to snap a shot of it. She and her little sis ran alllllll over the yard and neighborhood to get it. (I won't tell you how I laughed at her determination and lack of silent stalking!) It took two days, but she got one. In flight even!

She and Leks got out their new Nature Journals and drew pictures of it, and listed where they saw it, etc. I doubt they'll forget what a Killdeer is - (even though before Monday, I had no idea myself what a killdeer was!) http://www.birdwatching.com/stories/killdeer.html

6 comments:

Missy said...

What a cute little birdie! I always enjoyed watching birds but never thought of trying to identify them. You must have very curious cookies to want to find out what was in the yard!

Marnie said...

Excellent encouragement of the next generation of naturalists! There's nothing like "meeting" a new bird. (I saw an Eastern Kingbird last summer for the first time. It was pretty cool to figure it out from my field guide.)

Right now I'm rearing a couple of Monarch caterpillars. Have you tried that with the kids? It's truly amazing to watch the process. If you have Monarchs and milkweed in your neighbourhood, it's a cool project. I should have two butterflies by the middle of next week! (To be released outside, of course.)

Anonymous said...

Marnie, yes, we've tried to find monarch caterpillars, but haven't yet. You're right... very exciting stuff, and I can't wait to share that with the kids, but those little caterpillars have been very elusive to us so far!

Our kingbirds have been fun to watch - we've seen them attack birds three times their size if they get to close to their territory/nest/whatever. Beautiful birdies, but uff, do they have attitudes! lol!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love how you let them learn like this. It really encourages them to learn more and more. I remember when Uncle Jared was young and got side tracked when looking up a word in the dictionary and ended up building a battery out of a canning jar and some tin foil, etc. Feeding their minds in this way is great! Sometimes math just has to wait!!!

Love,
Mom

Marnie said...

I just looked for little holes in milkweed leaves, then peered underneath to find the tiny cats. The smaller the better -- like, barely visible! -- if you're bringing them in, as there's less chance they'll have been parasitized by wasps or flies. (Nasty process, leaving the caterpillar to grow until it's ready to pupate, and then the alien comes bursting forth from inside.) Hope you're able to find some!

Anonymous said...

You really are an amazing teacher...the true definition of parent and boy do you set a high standard!
What a wonderful education your lovely children are having!

Kate x