Monday, October 11, 2004

Columbus Day

Columbus Day has been a big thing to me for the past several years. A cousin told me a while back about her family's tradition of picking apples and making pies on that day, and ever since I've done the same. (Well, I don't actually pick them, I just buy them at an apple stand across the river.)

Anyway, I've been dreaming about sharing my pie tradition with "my kids" for a long time, and it was SOOOO cool to pile the kids in the car to actually do it! *Happy Shelly* I've never pealed ten cups of apples and not had a scrap of apple peals or cores leftover to toss before. They gobbled down every bit of them. It weirded me out a bit, but it sure made clean-up easy!

I was trying to figure a way that apple pies and Columbus Day could go hand and hand, and I figure that apple pie is "America's favorite dessert" and since Columbus "discovered" America, (ok, please hold off on the emails on that one; I know that's up for debate!), I figure I can get away with it.

I just wish they were understanding a bit more English so I could explain all of that to them better. They just figure it was a nice fall day and Mama got hungry for pie.

They also got a care package from their aunt and uncle and kept *very* busy all afternoon with their loot. One of the things was an adorable teddybear that you wind up and it plays "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." Aleksa's eyes got really big when she heard it and then she screamed, "Twinko, Twinko, Mama!" She has hardly parted with it since. (I got all teary hearing it play "her song." It was too sweet!)

Anyway, that's the day's highlights! I made sure to get this typed up early since I have no doubt that I'm going to crash as soon as possible tonight. John is watching, er, playing with the kids. Another one of the presents from today was an ERECTOR SET. John was sure giddy about there being an actual motor in the kit! Happy, happy Papa.


Apple Day
Apple Day
Apple Day
Erector Set
Aleksa's Bear
Adam's Jeep

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely Columbus Day tradition!!! Your pie looks so yummy, too. I really enjoyed your pictures. Boy, the kids look robust and sparkling and healthy and full of joy. What a testimony to your and John's great parenting. Thank you, Shelly, for your nice post to me the other day. It is hard waiting and hoping in a quiet, lonely house. After almost five years of IF, I almost expect disappointment even with adoption. But, you have been such an inspiration for me, not only with your lovely family stories, but with your kindness and encouragment. I can't thank you enough!!! Jo from the ttc adoption board

Falling for Ty and Zach said...

Wow Shelly - you guys made a BEAUTIFUL pie! The first (and...last...) apple pie I made was when we were in Ukraine. It was no where as tall as yours!

I can't wait to get "Our kids" and start baking and cooking with them...although I have a few times with my neices and nephews and boy, what a mess! It is starting to look like fun to me again!

Your comment about the kids eating the apple peels and cores reminded me of some of our friends in Ukraine - they ate their apples so far to the core that all that was left was the little seed pod and a stem! No waste there!

Thanks again for your Blog - it is something my husband and I truly look forward to!

Anonymous said...

You are so blessed! I'm teary eyed again; your kids are just spectacularly beautiful and you do such a good job at communicating their joy and your joy in your blog. Thanks for the pictures and play-by-play. You really are inspirational! --Laurel from Tulsa

Anonymous said...

I thought I smelled something good when I came home yesterday afternoon ;o)...It sounds and looks as if you had a fun time yesterday.

Fausta