Sunday, October 31, 2004

Farm Fun!

Liana told me the story of the Three Little Pigs today in English. It was really cute. "Wolf scazat, 'Little pig, little pig, mozhna come in!' Little pig scazat, 'No, no, no, chinny-chinny-chin.'" Gonna hafta tape it tomorrow... It's too cute.

John and I took the kids out to a farm owned by a friend from church this afternoon/evening. Before we went though, we told the kids where we were going, and Aleksa wanted to know if we were going to MacDonalds. ("Old MacDonald had a farm...")

Lots of other families came out too, and it was a great time for everyone. The kids got to play games, and the older two got to go on a four-wheeler with John. They were still talking about it at bedtime.

One of the games they played was a relay race with two teams. One person from each team had to walk with a cup of water and dump it in a pop bottle which was sitting on the forehead of two of the teen boys who were laying on the ground. There was lots of water "accidentally" splashed on their faces, on their clothes, etc. They were shivering by the middle of the game. Liana surprised everyone. As she got up for her first turn, she appeared to try to put the water in the bottle for the first microsecond, and then dumped it all on his face - on purpose. Everyone laughed. They don't quite know the little spit-fire in her yet. Everyone's first impression of her is that of a shy little girl who would *never* do something like that. Right! John zoomed Aleksa across the field in his arms to "help" her a bit. It was cute to see too.

During the race, I had Twinkle Bear in my coat pocket since Aleksa was busy. Someone wanted to take a group picture, and they laughed that the "photographer" didn't have a stuffed animal to get us all to smile at. I pulled out Twinkle, and she used her. Out of the woodwork came Aleksa, who came up to her and cried, "My bear! My bear!" It was cute. Hadda be there. *sigh*

We all had a wonderful chili supper in the pole-shed. Aleksa spilled hers the second she sat down to eat it. I asked her something like, "Why did you do that?" and she replied, "Ya little, Mama." Duh. What was I thinking! She's just little! HellOOO!

They also had another hay ride, a bonfire and mud galore. Their shoes are trashed. Guess that means it was a very fun day! The kids will probably remember this day for a long, long time. Hope so, at least. I sure enjoyed it!

I've been trying to think up some of the words that I want to continue using once the rest of their Ukrainian/Russian is gone. There are a few words they say that I think are WAY too cute to lose completely. Like the word for lollipop. It's a "chupa-chupe." And a bellybutton is a "Poop-chick." "Baby" is "lalichka" or "la-la" for short. I also like the word they use when they toot. It is called a "pook" ('oo' as in "broom") (It's also a verb... "ya pook, Mama.") Much nicer of a word than anything in English I can think of... ;O)

No comments: