Friday, October 08, 2004

Concert!

Lots to talk about today. The kids got to go play games, etc. with some other homeschoolers today. There was another boy there almost exactly Adam's age, and they seemed to really hit it off. I hope to have lots of chances to cultivate a friendship there. It was also good for me to get ideas from the other moms, and I can't wait to put a lot of those ideas into practice. Can't wait for school on Monday!!!

We also hit a giant rummage sale at a community center today. I picked up an armload of clothes for the girls (didn't see anything for Adam, poor kid.) There was a lady that was working there that gave some free things to the kids, and they were soooo excited! I also bought some fancy scarves (almost chiffon-ish) for the girls to play with. I wasn't sure how they'd use them, but I was pretty sure they'd like them, and I was right. They played with them all afternoon.

This evening, John and I took the kids to a wood-wind/brass band concert that our friend (a music prof at the university) conducted. John's sister and family were there, as were John's sister's mother-in-law and sister-in-law. (They'd be my in-law's inlaw's... Outlaws maybe?) ANYWAY... The concert was awesome! The second to the last song, Phil scanned the audience and asked if "Glenn" was here. (That's John's sister's two-yr-old boy). He was, and so Phil had him come up on stage and conduct the music. Glenn LOVES music and is constantly "directing" it when he hears it. He especially loves getting a music stand plopped in front of him. Little Glenn stole the show. He proudly stood there waving his little arms to the beat of the music while Phil directed too. Glenn kept peeking over his shoulder grinning, and each time he did so, the audience chuckled. He did awesome. And the whole family (minus the Fisher grandparents) were there to see his debut. Unfortunately none of us brought a camera. *sigh* (I might have "a" picture of Glenn pretend-conducting at church that maybe I'll post).

Anyway, our kids were WONDERFUL. They sat very still and were perfect little angels. Until! (There's always an "until," isn't there?) Apparently Adam had been playing canibal to the girls' dollies back at home and had taken the voicebox out of one and stuck it in his pocket. If you squeeze it, it says, "Mama! Papa!" So, midway through the concert, we heard it go off. And it wouldn't quit. It malfunctioned so that it didn't matter if it was squeezed or not, it just kept going off. Talk about MORTIFIED. John finally sat on the thing and it must have run out of juice. (We were blocked in and both of us had kids on our laps, so we couldn't just get up.) I'm assuming that the voicebox is in the garbage can right now. It is cute inside a dolly, but NOT in the middle of a concerthall. Yikes.

Inspite of the occassional "Sid-from-Toy-Story" tendencies of our son, the kids have just been awesome lately. The dust is finally settling. There would have been NO WAY I would have taken the kids anywhere like a concert a month ago, but tonight there was no question that they would behave, and we knew we could trust them to sit quietly. They were curious but quiet and sat really still. Couldn't have asked for a better crew of kiddos! It's just amazing that these same little kids were scratching for food wearing the same shirt for weeks at a time and running wild just 8 weeks ago. Completely different creatures now. I wish I could pick their little brains a little more as to what they were thinking of everything, but we know they loved it.

I just thought of something I don't want to forget... Liana has been calling me Mominka and sometimes shortening it to Mom. *sigh*. She also occasionally calls me "Mommy" and once today called me, "Mommy Honey." Cracked me up. I guess I do call them "Liana Honey," and "Adam Honey," and "Aleksa Honey," so I shouldn't have been surprised. It just struck me as hilarious.

Exhausted. Time for bed!


(Ok, I know this isn't a picture of "my" kid, but he is our nephew, and boy were we proud tonight!)

Glenn: The Little Conductor

No comments: