Wednesday, October 27, 2004

We're hearing lots of English around here lately. This morning at breakfast, Aleksa said, "Ya fast budu banana eat." (I'm going to eat my banana fast.") Half English, half Russian/Ukrainian all over the place. Yesterday I forgot to mention that I put in a Russian children's cd and Aleksa's eyes got big. She went over and stared at the speakers transfixed until the cd ended. They understood it all, but they are not speaking it fluently anymore. They are doing lots more hand gestures as they speak, sound effects, and replacing the English words in their sentences. I've mentioned before that Liana is using the word "maybe" like crazy. When Aleksa asked for some water, Liana said, "English, Aleksa, English!"

Today when we visited the family with nine children, Adam got upset or overly excited, or I-don't-know-what-because-I-wasn't-in-the-room, he grabbed one of the boys on the arm and clawed him leaving nasty fingernail marks. I was not a happy camper. Too much excitement I think. Everyone was showing him everything (and they have a GAZILLION toys), plus the boys were excitedly talking to him, etc. Maybe the language frustration got to him too. Whatever it was, it came out on poor Joey's arm. Never had to handle a situation like that. Hard to handle such times while you're at someone else's house.

Regardless, I enjoyed seeing how her homeschool works and looking through her curriculum. Learned some great stuff today. (If you are on the fence with homeschooling, send for a free catalog from Sonlight and check out their stuff. Neat, neat, neat set-up. Love it.)

Anyway, that's about all for tonight. I think that once we hit Month Three I'll only post once a week or so unless something really comes up. These posts are getting kinda dry and toasty now that the kids are settling in...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly,

Please don't think for even two seconds that your posts are dry and toasty!! If it's easier for you to post only once a week, then that's exactly what you should do, but absolutely not because you think things are getting boring- that's hardly the case! I loved the pictures of the kids in their church clothes, it's just amazing to see how far they've come and how much they are thriving with you and John as their Mommy and Daddy.
xo Lisa Sicilian

Marnie said...

I love tuning in every day for the latest info, even if it's not something big and exciting. I understand, though, that you're awfully busy and probably just want to get on with being a normal family. Just do whatever works for you and we'll be here to read anything you send our way. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Shelly, I know you are a very busy Mommy and I am sure finding time to post everyday can get burdensome. But, not one sentence in your blog would I call dry or toasty. I know that I have told you this many times, but your blog has brought me so much hope. I pray everyday that my adoptive child(ren) could be even half as wonderful as your three angels and I could be as perservering and patient as you are as a Mom. I know this may sound like I am gushing, but it is true. Thank you once again for helping me be brave enough to take this huge step in my life. I am not a natural risk taker and had I not "met" you on the adoption board and read about your experiences, I'm not sure I would have become commited to adopting. Your news and pictures have been cathartic and motivational for me as I wade through the stacks of paperwork. Sooooo, (sorry for the long post), just wanted you to know that your daily entries are greatly appreciated by many people!!! Jo from the ttc adoption board