Tuesday, October 26, 2004

More 'Leksa stories

Great day! The kids were really good-natured for most of the day. Adam and Liana "got into it" a few times today, but I'm sure that's pretty typical for a couple of siblings.

Anyway, an Aleksa story! Tonight she was completely exhausted at bedtime. I put her pjs on and brushed her teeth, and when we were done with that, I reached down to pick her up and she said, "Ni tak, tak baby." (Not like this, like a baby!) She cradled a pretend baby in her arms. Melt my heart! While John was tucking her in, he told her it was time to sleep and she said, "talkin'!" She wanted to chat a few moments longer with her Papachka. She could hardly keep her eyes open. Out in a flash.

This morning while the other two were "doing school," I encouraged Aleksa to haul out some puzzles. She usually prefers the puzzles with the pictures under the pieces and the nobs to hold. I asked her to put together a puzzle of one big picture and no pic underneath. She hasn't successfully been able to do those kind before, and avoids them, so I wanted her to try again and see what would happen. I did it with her a few times reminding her to look for what goes at the top, etc., and she did it! She was so proud of herself! She wanted to do it over and over again, and then she asked me to take her picture. It was too cute. Poor little sweetie is so far behind her little American friends. I know 1-2 yr-olds that could do that puzzle, but I keep having to remind myself how my little girl has been living the last few years. Then I'm amazed at how much progress she HAS made so far. Kids are amazing creatures. Just so resiliant and strong. Unbelievable little people.

Adam is doing really well at dot-to-dots. I love those for teaching number sequencing and counting. He loves to do them, but they are difficult for him at times, so when he gets them right, he is really proud. We've come a long way with our numbers.

Liana and Aleksa have occasionally started using a strange "baby-talk" thing. They don't understand each other's "new language" or anything, but it is strange that they are doing so. John wondered if it was because their Ukrainian is starting to fade on them, and they feel the need to babble in something they don't have to bother coding. Not sure.

No comments: