Sunday, September 05, 2004

Bugs

Well, this has ranked right up there as far as far as "Ewwy" days are concerned.

This morning I collected the last stool sample from Aleksa. Yay! I thought I was completly done with Yucky Things! Nuh-uh.

The clinic called and let us know that Liana has giardia. *sigh* So, we went to pick up her prescription. No biggie. Getting the pills IN her was another story. Apparently they have a terrible taste, and this poor little girl gagged and gagged and gagged as she tried to take the pill smashed in her applesauce. I also let her eat jam right out of the jar. Didn't help either. When she gagged again I put the "hacked up" stuff in her apple juice. Didn't help. We finally got it all down her with some brown sugar too. Poor kid.

THEN. *Feels like the world's most incompetent mother here* Adam and the girls and I were snuggling on the floor playing, when I noticed, *gulp*, creepy-crawlies in Adam's hair. Upon further inspection, yup, he had lice alright. John and I never saw any when we checked in Ukraine, but we didn't check them *right* before we left. We even gave the lice solution stuff that we had brought with us to Ukraine to the orphanage before we left. We thought we were clean! (Note to PAP's: Check your kids twice. Once when you meet them and once before you take them home.) We never checked them again once we were home. Stupid, stupid, stupid. John and I instantly started itching feeling all skin-crawlly-like. We found just a couple on the girls, but Adam had many, many. I can't believe we've been home this long (and had a DR'S APPOINTMENT) and nobody noticed before now. *waaaaahhhh* This definitely makes me feel like the biggest loser of a mom. How could we NOT have checked again!??? *bangs head on desk*

So anyway, we had a busy night/afternoon of combing and washing and checking and rechecking and vacuuming and dusting and scrubbing and anything else I could think of. Plus itching all over just thinking of it.

And THEN, Liana threw up too. She didn't eat enough supper with her pill so she upchucked. On our bed.

If we weren't broken in as parents before now, we sure are after this day! Poop-collecting, pill-feeding, delousing, vomit-cleaning. Oy. What a day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have earned a Mommy medal of honor for your day. We have had head lice in our house before- found at hair salon when ds was getting a hair cut (very red face). I deloused everyone in the house twice and washed everything that his head contacted. Don't forget to spray the car upholstery where his head may have touched. Nasty little critters aren't they?!?! Good luck. I hope Liana is better soon and I wish her medicine tasted better. Jo from the ttc adoption board. PS. To answer you from the previous blog, we are at the VERY beginning of our adoption paperwork. As luck would have it, the adoption agency we chose is located in Orlando, Florida. It will be a while before we get things really moving, I guess. I will concentrate on learning some Rusian for now.