Thursday, September 30, 2004

Broken Nose?

Well, there's sure never a dull moment at the Fishers' house these days! It looks like our Liana might have broken her nose. Maybe, maybe not. John and the kids were at the park this evening, and while they were getting rides in the wagon, it tipped over during a sharp turn, and Liana wound up on her face on the pavement. Instant bloody nose, and instantly puffed-up and swollen. At bedtime it was pretty black and blue already, and quite tender. She did blow her nose without screaming, so who knows if it is actually broken.

We called a nurse-hotline and were told not to bring her in (since she didn't have trouble breathing, and wasn't crying anymore, etc.), but to watch her closely in the next few days, and if it starts looking worse, if she starts acting not herself, throws up, etc. then we should take her in immediately. Apparently you can tell after five days just by looking at it if it is broken, and if we think so, we should definitely take her in. I don't quite get why the long wait, but they said that they said that if there needs to be surgery that the doctor can see better what is going on in there after that long. *Shrugs.* It wouldn't surprise me at all if it is broken. In fact, my gut says this is the second time her nose has been broken. Her nose just seems a bit wide at the bridge, but of course that could be genetics. But, if it was broken before, it would be easier to break now. Either way, MY POOR LITTLE GIRL HAS AN OWIE!!!!!

She was very concerned about having to go to church tomorrow. We assured her that there wasn't any church tomorrow, so she wasn't going. She said that everyone would laugh at her. (She sure didn't like the looks of her nose after she saw how swollen and bruised it was). Guess that means running my errands tomorrow is out. Poor little kid. I layed with her until she fell asleep tonight, and I couldn't help but cry just a little. She was extra clingy and vulnerable. I feel soooo bad for her! I love those kids so much it just makes my heart hurt. I cry just thinking about how much I love them. Just doesn't seem possible to love them so much!

Speaking of crying, Aleksa cried as much as Liana did all the way home. It scared her reallllly bad, and the poor girl was left to herself until we could get the bleeding to stop on Liana's nose, and to "assess the damage" and calm Liana down. Aleksa shut herself in the bathroom and cried. We scooped her up and sat her next to me, and then had her hold Liana's head on her lap. That made her feel a little better, and once Aleksa quit crying, she gave Liana a big "I'm-so-sorry-you-got-hurt-but-please-don't-do-that-again-'cause-it-freaked-me-out" hug.

Lets see... what else happened today. School stuff went well again. After a few hours, Adam sort of glazes over though. We have to take a break or he just can't get anything new to soak in. Today we worked on learning more body parts, and finished up learning the shapes. I led them all over the house looking for shapes. Ovals, rectangles, triangles, circles, etc. are all over the place if you just keep your eyes peeled! (Our toilet bowl, btw, is oval-shaped!)

I took the kids to see Dad today. When I told the kids where we were going Aleksa said "Grandpachka is a good grandpachka." (In Russian). It was so cute. As much as I love "Mamachka," I think "Grandpachka" is much cuter. The kids were really really really good at his house too. Might be because he happened to have the tv on, so they were glued to the tube for a few minutes.

Oh yeah, Aleksa is feeling better today - no fever, though she did throw up once. Can't figure that one out. She has her appetite back, and is her perky self, but she just had to upchuck. It was weird. I'm so thankful she and I didn't have it as bad as Adam did. He was out of the game for a long time!

Uff-da this is getting to be a long post. Too bad I keep thinking of things to add to this thing. I don't want to leave anything out though! You know how I am!

We were at Good Will today on a book run. (I just love spending a buck or less on good books!) At the check out, the lady asked me what language the kids were speaking, and when I told her it was Russian/Ukrainian, she started rattling off a few words that she knew. She said "Good morning," "thank-you," "please," etc. I asked her where she learned it and she said that a few years ago she bought a dog that was actually from Romania and only knew Russian commands. So, as a family, they learned some Russian so they could "talk to their dog." I thought that was hilarious! That's some kind of dedication! (And one SPOILED DOG!)

Way past my bedtime. Signing off...

No comments: