Sunday, September 26, 2004

"I Mama was talking!"

After church was over, John called me from the cellphone to see how I was doing. He put each of the kids on the phone and I quickly realized I'd never heard my kids' voices on the phone before. I cried!!! They're sooo sweet! They chatted on about this and that and the little I understood, I responded to. It's so wild that we have regular conversations all the time in two languages. John and I speak English and they speak Ukrainian, and yet we usually understand each other perfectly well. (They understand us a lot better than we understand them!)

John told me that after they got off the phone with me, Liana ran over to Babushka and said, "I Mama was talking!" Can you believe it!? ENGLISH!! A SENTENCE!!! And one she had to construct herself instead of relying on ones she's heard over and over like, "shut the door please!" *Proud Mama here* :O)

Still not feeling well. I threw up again this afternoon and I have a doozie of a headache. John goes back to work tomorrow, so hopefully I can sleep it off, whatever it is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelly, I hope you are better ASAP. It sounds like a very nasty bug. How neat that Liana is starting to put together English sentences. You have such smart kids!!! I know you aren't feeling well- and you can answer this for me when you do.... You mentioned in a blog that Ukranian adoptions are getting more difficult. Can you tell me more about this, please? Now I am getting nervous that maybe my too quiet house may not change:( Thanks again for all of your help and encouragement... Jo from the ttc adoption board

Shelly said...

Jo, the NAC has been kinda horrible about families who don't find their child/ren the first appointment. They have been making them wait a whole week to come back for a second appointment instead of like the "good old days" when people simply came the next day. In other words, adoptions have been taking longer in-country. If you are flexible to age, gender or number, you shouldn't have any trouble, but I know of people going to Ukraine for their "two children under five" and have come home with one child. Agency families have seemed to have better luck than indy ones in that regard.

Then the medical form requirements have changed again and the form must contain the "patient id number" (whatever that means!) The NAC loves to invent rules as they go and they don't mind making people wait and wait and wait. We had to wait several extra months this winter for our approval for a similar "new medical form rule."

It used to take 2-6 months to get an appointment after the dossier was submitted. The waits are getting longer, and people are being told right now to not expect appointments until 2005, even though they are approved right now. More and more people are having to redo forms to take with them to Ukraine because theirs are on the verge of expiring by the time they travel. It is crazy.

Talk to your facilitator/agency and see what they have to say. Don't jump ship just because of all of this. If you know your kids are in Ukraine, then GO TO UKRAINE. It will just make getting them home that much sweeter knowing that you fought for them. "The harder the conflict, the more glorious the victory. That which we obtain too cheap, we esteem too light." Thomas Paine

Hang in there, Jo. Don't anything or anyone veer you away from the course if you believe you are where you should be.

Shelly

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Shelly. As always, you are a wealth of information. I will be talking to my agency later today- they are in Orlando, Florida so it's been a rough month for them. I am extremely flexible about gender and age, so I hope that's a plus. I would be honored to mother any of the children- I hate that paperwork and beaurocrats make it so hard. Thanks again SO MUCH for your guidance. I hope you're feeling better... Jo